![]() |
| The Stare |
Geting on the bus at 6 a.m. yesterday morning seems like ten centuries ago. You can see the 1,000-mile stare in my rigid gaze to the left . . . too many gates, too many buses, too many people, too many conversations, too many checking and rechecking, too many have I lost it?s and Where did I put it?s and What time is it now?s . . . it's called The Danger Zone.
I just almost lost my jacket. Preoccupied with a non-working power cord to my computer, I pulled up stakes from one location and went to an Apple Store to see if it was just my computer or the airport's outlets (it was my plug) and then I buy a new plug, move my encampment to a new campground, and . . . my jacket! Where's my jacket????? My boarding pass is in it! Quick! What else? Credit card? No, got that . . . my Kindle! My Kindle is in the jacket! NOT REPLACEABLE! RUNRUNRUNRUN . . . . thank god the jacket is still on the back of the chair where I left it. Thank god I'm in Canada. Yesterday I almost left all Tai-chan's paintings at the bus stop for the airport in all the confusion of paying the bus driver and getting all my bag stuff together . . . a nice Japanese guy who had been sitting next to me on the wait bench brought it onto the bus and gave it to me. What if I'd left it . . . ?
No wonder I have lost laptops. Credit cards. never a passport, thank god. But so many things to think about . . . a 36-hour travelling circus of details, things to carry from place to place, distractions, little, big, huge, small . . . THINK about it. It's a miracle I'm here at all.
At this moment as I type, I hold in my head a mental inventory of all my possessions. I must keep going over that inventory. Over and over again. When I go into a bathroom. When I leave the bathroom. All my possessions . . . everything that I DEPEND ON . . . have moved from two hotel rooms in Japan through three buses, five planes, six terminals, 4 security checks, two baggage pickups, five restaurants, countless escalators, elevators, walkways, ramps, stores, benches, airplane seats . . . computer has come in and out at least twenty times in that period, Kindle, passport, credit card, cash, magazines, pens, boarding cards, itineraries . . . the question is not DID I make it in one piece, but HOW did I make it in one piece?
It's a GODDAMN FUCKING MIRACLE.

I SWEAR HALF YOUR FACE, WITH THE HALF CLOSED EYE, IS STILL IN THAT BUS STATION IN JAPAN, AND THE OTHER HALF, WITH THE WIDE OPEN EYE IS IN VANCOUVER IN ALERT MODE. THE PICTURE CRACKED ME UP CAUSE I KNOW THAT LOOK SO WELL!
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS WHY WHEN YOU GET HOME, YOU JUST CRUMBLE. YOU HAVE BEEN ACROSS THE WORLD AND BACK, MY POOR BABY!
HOME IS WAITING FOR YOU, I AM HERE AND LULU CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU, AND THE BED IS ALL WITH FRESH SHEETS AND YOUR FLUFFY PILLOWS. SO YOU WILL BE HERE SOON AND YOU CAN JUST REST YOUR TIRED LITTLE SOUL!
Ain't traveling fun.
ReplyDeleteI am avoiding the world.
The world is annoying me with its demands.
Ironman,
ReplyDeleteI have two pairs of shoes. The ones that I put on when I want to deal with the world. And the ones that I take off when I don't want to deal with the world.
I believe I just took that second pair off, too.